Splasher
v1.30
Download Splasher v1.30 now!
Visit the Splasher Gallery for over 100 sample screens!
News & Blog | How To... | Basic Questions | Advanced Usage | Troubleshooting | Version History
Splasher, Vista and Windows 7
I have been running Windows 7 Beta for a while. Even though a lot of people give it positive feedback, I still find it quite unstable for "Power User" folks. I crash it pretty often.
What does this have to do with Splasher? Well, I have now experienced firsthand all the crashes that Vista users have been mentioning to me. And I don't think I can solve those crashes unless I completely rewrite the thing. While that may eventually happen, it's the reason why you haven't seen an update to this page for a long time.
Even with a full rewrite, it won't work if you have User Account Control enabled. Even if you start the program in admin mode, the Randomizer still will have trouble.
I gave Windows 7 a honest try. I like a lot of it; Libraries, the Breadcrumbs navigation between folders, searching in the start menu, other small UI tweaks. But the annoyance factor is stronger.
So, while the lack of updates probably clued everybody in, I'll make it official: Splasher only works properly on Windows XP, and I don't think I'll be re-coding it for Vista anytime soon. Other tools I use refuse to work under Windows 7 as well, so I'm probably going to go back to XP quite soon.
Comments: 2
Anonymous Zloth said...
I've been using it under Vista just fine, with UAC enabled. 64-bit Vista even. I've got the game installed outside of the Program Files directory, though. That could well be the key.
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I think you'll want to put a twitter icon to your website. Just bookmarked this blog, although I had to make this manually. Just my advice.